Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Maximizing your savings

Keep in mind, these were all discoveries made shopping at Super G. Not all hints may apply to your local grocery store. Somethings to keep in mind when using a combination of coupons, each stores' coupon policy may vary, so you may want to look into it first before you check out. Ask a supervisor, call customer service or check online.

What I love about Super G is, we can combine 1 store sale item, 1 store coupon, and 1 manufacture coupon all on that same item. This can really help maximize your savings. Here are some ways to mix it up:

Example 1:

This past week in Super G, there was a sale for Morning Star Farms, 2 for $6. I printed out 2 save $1 off 1 manufacture coupons, allowing me to save $2 off the $6, making the new total $4 for 2!












Example 2:

A while ago, there was a BOGO (Buy One, Get One) sale for strawberries. One box of strawberries would have cost me $2.99. Since it was a BOGO free sale, 2 boxes of strawberries would cost me $2.99. I am just getting one of them free. I found a competitor store coupon from Shop Rite, advertising the same box of strawberries for .99¢. I brought that competitor coupon to Super G, and used it on the one box of strawberries that would have been $2.99. Using that Shop Rite coupon, made that one box of strawberries .99¢! .99¢ for both boxes!

Example 3:

Barilla pasta was on sale 10/$10. I had 1 save $1 manufacture coupon for Barilla pasta, making 1 box free!















Example 4:

Coppertone Sunblock is about $10–$12 for a bottle at Super G. I found 2 Safeway coupons advertising Coppertone Sunblock for $5.99 each. I also had 1 manufacture coupon that was save $5 on 2 Coppertone bottles. Using those 3 coupons, it made each bottle approximately $3.50!

Example 5:

There was a sale on Breyers ice cream. 2 for $5. I had 1 Target coupon that was buy 2, get $1.50 off, and 1 manufacture coupon that was buy 2 get $1 off. Total savings, $2.50, making each Breyers ice cream $1.25.



































For additional tips and information, Heather and Kitty, from Krazy Coupon Lady, explains some of the limitations you may face when trying to stack coupons.



Here are some other tips for maximizing your savings:

• Wait for the sale, or a stock up sale. Pick up what you need.

• Don't buy items because you have a coupon for it.

• Double Coupons. This means you can double the value of your manufacture coupon. Doubling coupons does not apply to store coupons. Depending on what the coupon policy states for your store, most manufacture coupons will double up to $1.00.  Rarely, will stores double their coupons past $1.00. (Example: .75¢ becomes $1.50). I think Nathan Engels, from Frugal TV, explains doubling coupons best:


Now, in Super G, they will automatically double the value of manufacture coupons up to .99¢. The catch, is they will not honor my manufacture coupon if it exceeds the face value of the item.

For example: 

A few weeks ago, I thought I could get free eggs. I picked up 1 dozen of Land O Lakes eggs, because I found a store coupon from Shop Rite that was advertising the same eggs for .88¢. I also had a .75¢ manufacture coupon. Because I had the .75¢ manufacture coupon, it automatically doubles to .99¢. In theory, I would have .11¢ leftover. Some stores will apply that kind of savings to the total, or actually hand you money back. Super G does not do this. Instead, the cashier told me she could not honor that manufacture coupon because it exceeded the (new) value of the item, .88¢.

• Seniors save more. I have found senior coupons from the Super Fresh and Shop Rite circulars. Unfortunately, according to Super G's policy, they apply this last, after bonus card savings and coupon savings. That's too bad, because you could save more if the coupons could have been used before anything else.

If your store allows you to use coupons like this, place those coupons on the top of your coupon pile so it can (hopefully) be used to help maximizing your saving.



No comments:

Post a Comment